Warning (512): /var/www/architectuul.com/app/tmp/cache/ is not writable [COREcake/libs/cache/file.php, line 281]
Warning (512): /var/www/architectuul.com/app/tmp/cache/persistent/ is not writable [COREcake/libs/cache/file.php, line 281]
Warning (512): /var/www/architectuul.com/app/tmp/cache/models/ is not writable [COREcake/libs/cache/file.php, line 281]
KÖKI | Architectuul


Keywords Change this

Transport, Postmodernism, Plastic, Socialist Modernism, Metal

Project timeline

1978 – 1980



Location Change this

Kőbánya-Kispest metróállomás
1191 Budapest

Current state

Altered (extensions to the original)

Also known as Change this

Kőbánya-Kispest Transportation Center

Architect Change this


Article last edited by Bostjan on
March 20th, 2019

KÖKI Change this

Budapest, Hungary
by György Kővári, Miklós Koppányi, ... Change this
1 of 3

Description Change this

The Kőbánya-Kispest Transportation Center, connecting the local railway station with the new metro station and securing pedestrian passage above the railways, was designed by the planning office of the state railways company (MÁVTI), with a project group led by György Kővári.

The pedestrian overpass and the elevated commercial center was installed in situ from prefabricated metal elements, with a flat lightweight rooftop. The façade was covered with glass and plastic panels featuring octagonal windows, the latter produced by the SIRÁLY Company of Balatonkenese. The bright red, orange and blue colors of the building show a clear influence of Piano and Rogers’ Centre Pompidou in Paris.
The building served not only transportation functions, but also local residents with shops, supermarket and a newspaper store.

The construction started in 1978 and the ribbon was cut on 29 March 1980, the same time traffic started in the II/A section of Metro 3 between Nagyvárad tér and Kőbánya-Kispest. While celebrated in its heydays as a sign of progress, after 1989 and without proper maintenance, KÖKI quickly became a security hazard and fell into disrepair. In the 2000s it was already widely seen as an eyesore. Partial demolition started in 2008 to replace a bigger part of the original structure with a new shopping mall. The corridor above the railways was maintained.


Register to join to conversation.